Sadly, ovens are not popular worldwide and you’ll probably have to live without one in China.
Most expats only have a microwave, gas rings or a hotplate, and a toaster oven in their apartment. This equipment only enables microwaving, boiling, frying, and toasting.
But can it enable baking?
In short, yes!
Thankfully there is a handful of recipes online which promise that one can bake breads, cupcakes, and even cakes using a microwave  or a toaster oven .
With a sweet tooth that is rarely satisfied I sought to make chocolate cupcakes using only a toaster oven.
I used a chocolate cake recipe and made some changes to it so the mixture wasn’t too big and so it matched the ingredients in my cupboard!
240g plain flour
240g drinking chocolate
0.24 litres coconut milk
6 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar
1 pinch salt
120g crushed walnuts (optional)
This recipe made 12 cupcakes.
cupcake papers x 12
1. Put all the ingredients into the bowl and mix them until smooth.
2. Measure 2 tablespoons of the mixture into each cupcake paper.
3. Pre-heat the toaster oven to 180 degrees.
4. Cook the cupcakes for 10-12 minutes.
5. Let the cupcakes cool down on a cooling rack.
6. Enjoy eating your chocolate cupcakes!
The drinking chocolate is from D-Mart.
The cupcake papers are from Carrefour.
The other ingredients are from Wal-Mart.
Thanks for reading this blog post!